Skip to main content

You are here

Choosing the right installer

We want to make sure that whatever you use the loan for is of the highest quality and guaranteed to last

Energy efficiency improvements

We always recommend you use a Green Deal certified installer, and for solid wall, underfloor, flat roof or room-in-roof insulation, your installer must be Green Deal certified. 

If you're installing a gas boiler or carrying out any gas work (including boilers, warm air units and heating controls), installers must be Gas Safe registered by law. The Gas Safe Register has more information on the work this covers, and also tells you if an installer is registered.

If installing an oil boiler, the installer must be OFTEC registered

For all other energy efficiency improvements there is no requirement to use a specific installer, but we strongly recommend you do the following

  • Shop around for at least three quotes to give you choice and to ensure good value for money.
  • Make sure your chosen installer is fully qualified and, if possible, accredited with a relevant industry body and/or trade federation. 
  • Ask installers what guarantees they provide for the quality of their work and what warranties they supply with the products.

Renewables systems 

For renewables systems:

  • Your installer and product must be certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) for the system they're installing (except for micro-hydro systems)
  • For renewable heating systems (heat pumps, biomass and solar hot water systems), products must be listed on Ofgem's Product Eligibility for Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive support

Please note that eligibility for the loan is not indicative of eligibility for any other support, including the Renewable Heat Incentive. For advice on this scheme please call 0808 808 2282.

You can find installers in your area (as well as customer reviews) on our Renewables Installer Finder tool. For a full list of MCS-certified installers, see the Microgeneration Certification Scheme website

Energy storage systems 

If you’re installing an energy storage system, the installer must:

  • be certified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) for the renewables system that will be working alongside the battery 
  • be a member of the Trading Standards Institute accredited consumer code which covers energy storage 
  • meet all manufacturers' guidelines for the system being installed, and have undertaken all relevant manufacturer training available in the UK 
  • meet the Institute for Engineering and Technology’s code of practice (for electric batteries only) 

District heating scheme connections

  • The installer of the connection must be approved by the scheme owner/operator.

Loans are administered by Energy Saving Trust. Successful loans are subject to an administrative fee of 1.5%, up to a maximum of £150. Work must not commence before a loan offer has been made. For certain improvements, you will need to use a certfied installer.  

Find out more

Get in touch

Call us on 0808 808 2282 or request a call back today. You can only get an application from from our advisors and they’ll also help with any enquiries you may have.

Call me back

Loan overview

Find out who can apply, how much you can borrow and what types of improvements you can make.

More details

Loan in detail

Find out about repayment periods, and other conditions of the loan.

Find out more