Looking to make your home warmer and save energy and money? Home Energy Scotland can help. Home Energy Scotland is a Scottish Government programme managed by Energy Saving Trust.
We are a network of local advice centres covering all of Scotland. Our expert advisors offer free, impartial advice on energy saving, renewable energy, sustainable transport, waste prevention and more.
Making little changes can have a big impact on the comfort of your home and on your energy bills. You will also be doing your bit for the environment at the same time.
Here are some simple ways to get started
Speak to an advisor Get in touch with Home Energy Scotland for free, expert and impartial advice by calling 0808 808 2282 or request a call back
Take a Home Energy Check The Home Energy Check is an online calculator that can help you work out how to reduce your energy bills and make your home warmer
Visit a green home You can use the Green Homes Network to find and arrange to visit a green home near you
Learn about home energy quick wins Watch these energy saving tips to start saving energy now
Home insulation Your home can lose a quarter of its heat through an uninsulated roof and around a third through an uninsultated wall. So insulating your home can really help to lower your fuel bills. If you are installing external wall insulation, you can download our information pack.
Find out about ways to save energy at home…
- Home appliances From kettles to home entertainment systems, read our advice on choosing the most energy efficient appliances to help you reduce your energy bills
- Heating and hot water Heating and hot water accounts for over half of what you spend in a year on energy bills. So having an efficient and cost effective heating system is vital
- Home insulation Your home can lose a quarter of its heat through an uninsulated roof and around a third through an uninsultated wall. So insulating your home can really help to lower your fuel bills. If you are installing external wall insulation, you can download our information pack.
- Energy efficient lighting Switching to energy efficient lighting is an easy and cost effective way to save energy. Read our tips.
- Renewables Interested in generating your own renewable heat or electricity? Find out about how we can help you work out what is right for you and your home
- Saving water The average Scottish household uses around 350 litres of water a day, and around 21% of a household's typical heating bill is from heating the water for showers, baths and hot water from the tap. So saving water, especially hot water, can make a big difference to your home's fuel bills.
- Smart meters Smart meters are the next generation of gas and electricity meters. The UK Government plans for every home and business in the UK to have a smart meter for electricity and gas by the end of 2020.
- Switching utilities Our tips on switching energy suppliers will help make sure you are getting the best deal from your current energy supplier and can help you save on your bills.