You are here
Home Energy Efficiency Programmes
The Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland scheme (HEEPS) can help to heat your home.
The Scottish Government wants to make sure that everyone in Scotland who needs help with their energy costs, is able to save money and keep cosy.
Under HEEPS, you could get help to cut your bills and make your home warmer. You could even qualify for extra income, discounted energy rates, free insulation or a new central heating system.
What is offered and who is eligible?
- Energy advice. Whether you are working, retired or receiving benefits we can provide you with free energy advice. We can also help you by carrying out a free, personalised home energy check. This short survey will check how energy efficient your home is and suggest practical changes and improvements. It can help you save money by reducing the amount of energy you use in your home. And it can be done over the phone.
- More money in your pocket. Many people miss out on money they are entitled to from benefits and tax credits – just because they don’t know it’s there. We can help find out if this applies to you. Some people discover they can get as much as £1,500 extra per year. Energy suppliers also offer some people discounted energy rates. We can advise about any discounts that may be available to help you pay less for the energy you use.
- Energy efficiency measures. Depending on your circumstances, you could get help from the Scottish Government or energy companies to make your home warmer and cheaper to heat. For example, you could qualify for a new central heating system, a new boiler or loft and cavity wall insulation.
Energy Suppliers fund measures under the Affordable Warmth Scheme, the Scottish Government funds measures under the Energy Assistance Scheme and support may also be available from the Scottish Government and Local Authorities through area based schemes. We can help by letting you know what support you are eligible for and by helping you to access it.
How to apply
Call Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282 or request a callback. We’ll be able to give you advice and let you know what support you are eligible for.
Find out how the Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland help people improve their energy efficiency and standard of living by watching our case study below.
View our FAQS for more information on HEEPS.
HEEPS programme statistics
Here are some of the ways we have helped people through HEEPS:
- More than £2,100 a year is the potential average increase in income for families and people under 60 that we were able to help
- More than £1,600 a year is the average increase in income for pensioners that we were able to help
- More than 90 per cent of households took up offers of help
Download more detailed stats for the Home Insulation Scheme (HIS)
- Download end of year report 2009/2010 (PDF, 252K)
- Download Home Energy Programmes Summary Report 2009/2013 (PDF)
- Download Home Energy Programmes Detailed Report 2009/2013 (Excel)