Skip to main content

You are here

Become Certified

Whether you’re an installer or an assessor, certification is a requirement of many UK and Scottish Government schemes. 

For householders and businesses wanting quality assurance, certification makes a lot of sense.

What schemes require certification?

Feed-in Tariffs (FITs), the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), the Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland (HEEPS) and the Home Energy Scotland Home Renewables Loan.

What types of certification are there?

For installers there are two certifications available depending on the type of work you offer:

For assessors, at the domestic and non-domestic level, there are two types:

For non-domestic there is also:

How do I get certified?

For installers, find out about certification by following the links above.

For MCS and Green Deal Approved status you will need:

  • A quality management system (QMS)
  • To satisfy the core competency requirements/standards
  • To comply with the relevant consumer code. 

A certification body will assess you on your premises by carrying out an office audit and checking the quality of your installations.

For assessors, read about further information on training and qualification routes at the domestic level. 

Please note that it is the Green Deal Assessor Organisation (GDAO) that is Green Deal Approved and not the individual advisor although it is possible for the GDAO to be a sole trader.

What funding is available?

There is no funding available to help with certification, however the Low Carbon Skills Fund offered through Skills Development Scotland gives Scottish businesses the opportunity to apply for funding towards employee training costs.

Sign up now

If you would like to receive regular email updates from us on industry news, events, training opportunities, and information on government schemes then complete our sign up form now.

Home Energy Scotland logoGreener Scotland logo