Energy Assistance Scheme

EAP - stage 4 233x148

This is part of the Energy Assistance Scheme, which makes homes, including residential mobile homes, easier and cheaper to heat by making them more energy efficient.

In line with what you need, and if you qualify, we organise grants for up to £4,000 worth of work, or sometimes even up to £6,500.

Ways that we might improve your home could include:

  • Installing or repairing a central heating system or boiler
  • Installing an air source heat pump
  • Draught proofing
  • Insulating internal or external walls
  • Insulating cavity walls
  • Insulating lofts
  • Providing room thermostats and heating controls
  • Insulating hot and cold water tanks and pipes.

(Fuel type eligibility is subject to certain restrictions)


Who might qualify:

For this part of the package you must have occupied the property as your only or main home for at least one year1 and be either:

  • a homeowner
  • the tenant of a private-sector landlord (in which case you must get the landlord's permission).

And you or your partner must be:

  • aged 60 or over and have no central heating system present.

Or your home must have a poor energy rating and you or your partner:

  • are in receipt of the Carers' Allowance
  • or receive qualifying benefits and fit any of these descriptions:
    • are pregnant
    • are 60 or over
    • or there is a child under 16 in the household
    • receive the highest rate of the care component or the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance, or war pensions equivalents, or the enhanced rate of the daily living component or enhanced rate of mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) 2.
    • are terminally ill (in receipt of DS1500 certificate)2

1 If you are terminally ill you do not need to have lived in your property for at least one year.
2 If you fit this description you must also receive a qualifying benefit other than disability living allowance, war pensions equivalents, the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or Armed Forces Independence Payment.


Qualifying benefits:

NB if you’re 60 or over with no central heating system present, you don’t need benefits to qualify.

  • State Pension Credit (guarantee element)
  • Universal Credit (income in assessment period <= £1,260)
  • Universal Credit (includes an amount for a child, housing costs, or childcare)
  • Child tax credit or working tax credit, within certain thresholds
  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
  • Employment and support allowance
  • Income support, income based jobseekers allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction Scheme
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit which includes a constant attendance allowance.
  • War disablement pension which includes a mobility supplement or a constant attendance allowance

Find out more about what you might be able to get from Home Energy Scotland. We can even get your benefits checked for you.


Call us today

Just pick up the phone and we’ll help you. Call Home Energy Scotland 0808 808 2282 today.


Get updates on energy saving!

Sign up now for our monthly email newsletter, Energywire, for the latest money-saving tips and articles, plus competitions with great prizes.