Find a grant

There are a number of schemes available to help with the costs of having energy-saving improvements fitted in your home:


Green Deal

A Government-backed scheme to help you make cost-effective energy saving improvements. Instead of paying for the full cost of the improvements up front, you pay over time through a charge added to your electricity bill.


ECO (Energy Company Obligation)

Funding from the big six energy suppliers to support energy improvements for people on certain benefits, for those in solid wall properties and for households in the poorest parts of the country.

Find out more about Green Deal and ECO.


Feed-in Tariffs

On-going financial support for people generating electricity from renewable sources such as solar PV and wind. Find out more about generating your own energy.


Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP)

A one-off payment to households installing renewable heating systems such as heat pumps, wood boilers or solar water heating. Find out about phase 2 of the RHPP.



The Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT) has now officially closed. Some companies may still be offering free or subsidised loft and cavity wall insulation in some areas, but most schemes are no longer operating.

CERT has now been replaced by the Green Deal and the Energy Company Obligation.


Local authorities  

Some local authorities may also provide energy-saving grants or other offers for local residents to install certain energy efficiency measures in their home. Call your local authority to see if there is any help available in your area.


Free and impartial advice

For free and impartial advice on how to save energy in your home, contact the Energy Saving Advice Service:

This service is provided by the Energy Saving Trust on behalf of the Department of Energy and Climate Change.


Get updates on energy saving

Our monthly email, Energywire, has the latest money-saving tips and articles, plus competitions with great prizes – sign up now!